Sunday 30 August 2015

Maths Portfolio Sample

Description: In maths I have been working with Troy. I have been focusing on Multiplicating & Dividing decimals. When I'm not working with Troy I am doing work from my NZCM Stage 7 book. In Stage 7 I have been focusing on Proportional Adjustment. My go to strategy would be an Algorithm.

Image: 

Big Idea: My goal is to use the most efficient strategy for the question I get

 In the 1st strategy I did PVP (Place Value Partitioning). I split 176 into 160 & 16. Then I worked out that 5x32s = 160 and you can't divide 16 by 32. So you have a remainder of 16 but you don't want to leave anyone behind so you will need another bus. So that will leave you with 6. 

In the 2nd strategy I used known facts. I went 30x5=150 & 2x5=10, then I added 10+150 which =160 with a remainder of 16. So you need to buy another bus so no one gets left behind. So you get 6 buses.

In the next question. The first strategy I used was an Alga Rythm, I went 3x0 which = 0 so I put the 0 down the bottom. Then I went 3x9 = 27 but you only put the 7 down the bottom and then I put the 2 above the next number in the equation. So then you go 3x4=12 but then you got to add on the 2 from the number above which gives you 14 but you only put the 4 down and put the 1 above the next number. Then you go 3x1=3 and then add the one from the last equation. Then you have to do that all again for the 1. But before you start you have to put a 0 down the bottom. After you have done all the equations for the 1 you add the 2 bottom numbers together. Then the answer I got was 193.70. What did you get? 

Then in the 2 strategy I used PVP. I split the 14.90 into 14 and 90 and went 14x13 which equals 182 & 90x13=1170 but then you have to put the decimal back in so you have 11.70. Then you add 182 & 11.70 which gives you an answer of 193.70. Comment below if you got a different answer and how you got it.


 




Evaluation: I reckon on I did well at using a variety of strategy's, but next time I reckon I could use the most efficient strategy for the questions not a whole lot of different strategy's.

Feedback/Feedforward: I really like how you have explained your strategies in both your pictures and your mini description. Next time you could add more to your description (You could talk about multiplication time.) and evaluation. Mitchell 







1 comment:

  1. Shot Jaiden! This is one of the best portfolio samples I have ever seen you do. Your explanation is perfect, I even think an Alien could understand how to do maths based on reading this. Your Maths ability is excellent and I love how receptive you are to new teaching. Ka Pai Jaiden!!

    ReplyDelete